Maramures is a living “outdoor museum” famous for its unchanged way of life. The northwestern Romanian region of Maramures is home to many villages where century-old traditions are still part of daily life. The villagers have preserved the rural culture and crafts of their Dacian ancestors, a remarcable example being the amazing wooden churches with tall spires and shingled roofs.
Main Museums in Maramures:
• Elie Wiesel Memorial House, in Sighetu Marmatiei
• Maramures Entographic Museum and Maramures Village Museum, in Sighetu Marmatiei
• Museum of Arrested Thought, in Sighetu Marmatiei
• Art Museum, in Baia Mare
• Ethnographic Museum and Village Museum, in Baia Mare
• History & Archaeology Museum, in Baia Mare
• Mine Flowers Museum, in Baia Mare – displaying rare “mine flowers” appreciated by collectors around the world
There are lots of things to see in Maramures, but there are also lots of things to do here: Biking, Camping, Fishing, Hiking, Nature walks, Paragliding, Rafting, Skiing, Wildlife and bird watching. There is something for everyone!
Explore the beautiful traditions of a sacred teritory that seems to have defied modernity and kept its authentical charm!